Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Burst timing parameter definitions

Title: Burst timing parameter definitions

Inline in red, Glen

From: Glen Kramer <000006d1020766de-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 1, 2019 12:33 AM
To: STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Burst timing parameter definitions

I will try to answer all questions in one email.  Also adding a couple of my own questions.

Should the output be “electrical power”?  Typically what we think about is voltage.  Also, it’s not the actual voltage you are showing, it would be more like the waveform envelope – Or maybe you should call it the electrical modulation amplitude (EMA, the counterpart of OMA).

Perhaps. If so, we need to reword the text defining the Trx_settling. As of now, it reads this (see yellow highlight):

Please, make a suggestion for the new text.

Shouldn’t we also show the data on this figure (some time after TCRD completes)?  That is after all what is really of interest.

Not in the PMD clause. This figure is referenced in text only for illustrating the measurement intervals Ton, Trx_settling, and Tx_off.

Data doesn’t really play a role here.  Even though the T_CDR interval is shown in this picture, its measurement is also not the focus of the PMD clause.

Here is a question from myself. In the PMD clause we use the term Treceiver_settling. In C142, we use Tsettling. I suppose these refer to the same parameter. How about we call it Trx_settling everywhere?

[mh0201] Good catch – I will check as well whether it is present in 10G-EPON and have it fixed in the process. However, as far as out draft is concerned, my preference would be to move to Tsettling (shorter) and Trx_settling (second preference).

Another question: In Figure 141-3, as in the entire PMD clause, we assume the Ton, Trx_settling, Toff to be the actual measurements of laser and receiver performance. We use the same Ton, T(rx_)settling, Toff in clause 142 (Figures 142-3 and 142-4) to show the intervals of time reserved by the OLT and ONUs for turning laser on, receiver settling and turning the laser off. The reserved times are not the same as actual measurements. Typically, the reserved times include some margin for the worst case. I think in Figures 142-3 and 142-4, where we have Ton, Trx_setting, Toff, and possibly T_CDR, we need to add  “≥” (greater or equal) symbol before each label. Any thoughts on this?

[mh0201] Agreed on tolerances. Also, it might be a good idea to differentiate measured (real) values from theoretical values, perhaps by adding some postfix to values in Clause 142?

-Glen

I seem to recall that the point of the figure was to show measurement points relative to burst structure, and data has really nothing to do with it

Shouldn’t we also show the data on this figure (some time after TCRD completes)?  That is after all what is really of interest.

Best Regards

Duane

Should the output be “electrical power”?  Typically what we think about is voltage.

Also, it’s not the actual voltage you are showing, it would be more like the waveform envelope – Or maybe you should call it the electrical modulation amplitude (EMA, the counterpart of OMA).

Frank E.