Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 02/28/19 802.3ca consensus building agenda

Duane rightfully pointed out it is modification to Clause 66 and not 46, my bad on that.

However, on closer look, there are more places that need updates IMO, with target locations highlighted. There are list of clauses in introduction text, plus list of PHYs, which should be extended to cover 25 Gb/s Clause and PHY alike. Also, the second para does not even mention 10G-EPON, and I believe it should, since 10G-EPON builds on top of 10GBASE-R.

In the absence of unidirectional operation, the sublayers in this clause are precisely the same as their

equivalents in Clause 24, Clause 36, and Clause 46. Otherwise, this clause describes additions and

modifications to the 100BASE-X, 1000BASE-X, 10GBASE-R, 10GBASE-W, and 10GBASE-X Physical

Layers, making them capable of unidirectional operation, which is required to initialize a 1000BASE-PX

network, and allows the transmission of Operations, Administration and Management (OAM) frames

regardless of whether the PHY has determined that a valid link has been established.

However, unidirectional operation may only be enabled under very limited circumstances. Before enabling

this mode, the MAC shall be operating in full-duplex mode and Auto-Negotiation, if applicable, shall be

disabled. In addition, the OAM sublayer above the MAC (see Clause 57) shall be present and enabled or (for

1000BASE-X), the PCS shall be part of a 1000BASE-PX-D PHY (see Clause 60 and Clause 64).

Unidirectional operation shall not be invoked for a PCS that is part of a 1000BASE-PX-U PHY (except for

out-of-service test purposes or where the PON contains just one ONU). Failure to follow these restrictions

results in an incompatibility with the assumptions of IEEE 802.1 protocols, a PON that cannot initialize, or

collisions, which are unacceptable in the P2MP protocol.

Thoughts?

Marek