[802.3_10SPE] PLCA beacon & TSN shapers

All,

What a great meeting we had last week. I learned a lot.

Over the last couple of days I’ve been thinking about running TSN shapers on top of the new PLCA proposal (by the way, what are we going to call it? I need an acronym). Many of the TSN shapers, policers, and other capabilities are synchronized to the 802.1AS clock; this is how they provide the “guarantees” they can across multiple media types.

On Thursday we learned about the Beacon concept in the new PLCA proposal. My concern is that if that Beacon is completely unrelated to the 802.1AS time we could have a very difficult time trying to run any TSN features that are tied to the 802.1AS clock on top of PLCA. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I am saying it is something we will need to study and understand the impact. In an ideal world we could sync the Beacon with 802.1AS time. Doing it the other way around would prove to be a bit of a challenge from the TSN side.

Again, thanks to all for a great meeting. It was certainly an eye opener for an 802.3 virgin like myself.

-          Craig

CRAIG GUNTHER, CSM

Distinguished Engineer

Corporate Technology Group

10653 South River Front Parkway, Suite 300

South Jordan, Utah  84095 USA

Phone: +1 801 568-7675

Fax: +1 801 838 7114

Mobile: +1 801 358 6424