From: George Zimmerman [mailto:george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 10:38 AM
To: STDS-802-3-10SPE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [802.3_10SPE] PLCA beacon & TSN shapers

Craig -

Thank you for following up and thinking about this, and thank you for the excellent presentation.  We all learn from each other, and your contribution helped.

Regarding 802.3as time – isn’t it directly linked to the bit time clock?  If so, so is the beacon.

However, it was my understanding that the timing information was inserted by the TSSI (defined in 802.3-2015 Clause 90), which David showed would work for normal CSMA/CD.

We might benefit from a look at the compatibility of the TSSI with the proposal adopted, and any adjustments that might be needed.

Again, thank you,

-george

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

Chair, IEEE P802.3cg 10Mbps Single Pair Ethernet Task Force

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx