Re: [802.3_10SPE] Emission limits and PSD Mask

Gian Marco – I assume that when you said “Broad R Reach” below, you meant 100BASE-T1 (per IEEE 802.3bw), as reflected in Conrad’s email below.  It is probably better for all to avoid trade names, especially if there is a relevant IEEE specification.

-george

From: Zerna, Conrad [mailto:conrad.zerna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2018 3:09 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10SPE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_10SPE] AW: [802.3_10SPE] Emission limits and PSD Mask

Hi Gian Marco,

I noticed that discrepancy, too.

As far as I know, the 802.3bw has not considered the capacitive coupler, just the stripline.

The transfer function of the stripline is 9.54dB lower at 10MHz than at the plateau between 30MHz and 200MHz.

If you keep your CM-termination at 25Ohm, your plateau is ca. -8dB. Therefore, you CM-Limit becomes 21dBµV/10kHz+8dB+9.54dB=38.54dBµV/10kHz.

If you increase your CM-termination to 120Ohm, your plateau is ca. -14dB. Therefore, you CM-Limit becomes 21dBµV/10kHz+14dB+9.54dB=44.54dBµV/10kHz.

Now, you have a limit, which your (calculated below) CM signal of the 802.3bw spec passes …

I just read the spec document for emissions tests and applied the different sections to the system, because they both have limits for frequency bands, which the current 10SPE waveform occupies.

The final statement, if both of these tests equally apply or how they must be satisfied, should come from an OEM … !

Regards, Conrad