Re: [802.3_10SPE] Feasibility of 147.3.5 Collision detection

Thank you for the reminder – speaking as an individual.

(again as an individual) I beg to differ on the content of the draft and on clause 22 -

The 20 BT reference is at 148.4.5.4, it is the duration of “beacon_timer” which times the duration of the BEACON signal.

The definition of what a PHY needs to detect for  a collision is the first thing at 147.3.5 “When operating in half-duplex mode, the 10BASE-T1S PHY shall detect when a transmission initiated locally results in a corrupted signal at the MDI as a collision.”

The requirements for assertion of CRS are found in 22.2.2.11.  You are correct that additional requirements are in clause 147, but the clause 22 requirements remain.  It seems pretty clear here that they are not allowed to glitch, but is required to be asserted when the medium is nonidle…  I would start there and then determine whether something additional is needed:

CRS shall be asserted by the PHY when either the transmit or receive medium is nonidle. CRS shall be

deasserted by the PHY when both the transmit and receive media are idle. The PHY shall ensure that CRS

remains asserted throughout the duration of a collision condition.

CRS is not required to transition synchronously with respect to either the TX_CLK or the RX_CLK.

You might suggest something more is needed, to fully specify the behavior, but specifying a particular implementation is generally a bad idea, and simply describing one doesn’t add any missing requirements.

-george