Re: [802.3_10SPE] comment r02-14

Hi All,

Let me speak in favor of having MDI (meaning, a "mandatory referenced connector for the interoperability").

There may be more relevant examples, but here are a few examples I remember through out 36+ years, including through some 'connector wars'.  First, the justification.

MDI -- this is the primary electrical interoperability interface.   All the work to *ensure* interoperability has been done on the connector.   Besides ensuring that all MDI mates so that connectivity could be achieved, they also ensured non-experts-in-the-tech-segment to put together a system.

MDIs that assumes significant non-obvious interoperability concern addressed:
These allowed for the industry to achieve multi-vendor interoperability without any further engineering in installations and maintenance.  <== This is the main point of MDI.

MDIs that were justifiably left out of the PHY spec.
Don't be afraid of specifying MDI -- Market adoption of MDI and alternate connector to MDI.
So we *should* have MDI for 10BASE-T1L.
we *should not* have MDI for the 10BASE-T1S in automotive and backplane.
we *should* have MDI for the 10BASE-T1S in industrial applications where the MDI is clearly exposed (therefore multi-vendor equipment mating would occur).

best regards,

Yong Kim, affiliation: NIO