Re: [802.3_10SPE] Proposed response to MDI connector comment r02-14

WRT to call for multiple connectors versus defining the MDI (one, not multiple) connectors,

before looking at 802.3 tradition and mandate for MDI (this is the effect of), we should look at the rationale(root cause), and some examples that directly benefited the world.

Why do we do standards first place?   <=== Multi-vendor, open, interoperability.
Why has IEEE 802.3 been so successful?  <=== In part, due to actually delivering industry-wide interoperability by not compromising (well.. hardly ever) things that effect interoperability.

So What's with MDI?
When interoperable systems connect, it should work together.
If it does not, you could test for interoperable metrics at the MDI -- the exposed, medium dependent, interoperability (electrical/optical, functional, detectable behavior, mechanical, etc, that that is required to assure) test point.
If we define MDI, it is up to us to put all normative requirements to assure -- this is the whole point of doing std.

Aside from the backplane Ethernet, chip-to-module, and 100Mbps (and possibly 1Gbps) unshielded one-pair -- all justifying various degree of unspecifiable connection mechanisms, all Ethernet that had clear need for a connector always had an MDI.  Why?  Interoperability ==> why we have standards.

Over the years, people argued that an alternate MDI is just as good.  That's fine.  So long as we have THE MDI spec to reference and compare to.  You want to run 100BASE-TX on star-quad on pairs 3-4, and 5-6 or RJ45-like connector?   Fine -- your own engineering issue, and only you'll have to compare its performance to THE MDI reference. Most likely, that's what you are doing -- comparing measurements of the alternate medium/connector to THE MDI spec.

So I am not stating my preferences for a fewer connectors.  I am (re-)stating the reason to have the MDI spec.   If this group decides to list several connectors as references, don't call any of them MDI or MDI connector.   They are factually not.

best regards,

Yong Kim, affiliation: NIO