[802.3_10SPE] 802.3cg draft 3.3 recirculation closed - received comments posted

The third recirculation ballot of IEEE P802.3cg has closed.  The 32 comments received are posted at http://www.ieee802.org/3/cg/comments/ , along with topics.

Proposed responses to the received comments should be posted no later than tomorrow morning, pacific time; hopefully before that.

The Comment resolution group will be meeting Monday September 9, 2019 in Indianapolis at the IEEE 802.3 interim meeting week, from 8am to 6pm.  Information is available at http://www.cvent.com/events/ieee-802-3-interim-meeting-september-2019/event-summary-bf70b99221ae40aca998d360e3e92be4.aspx  (I have heard that some people think our meeting may go until Tuesday – that is not the case.  We only meet Monday.  Remember that the working group meets on Thursday evening, and 802.3cg may have business before the working group.)

According to myballot, the ballot closed successfully with the following results:

Ballots Received: 7

Vote Changes: 6

Comments: 32

Must be satisfied comments: 9

The ballot met the 75% returned ballot requirement and the voting is:

138 eligible people in the ballot group

10 total negative votes with comments

5 negative votes with NEW comments

1 negative vote without comments

4 abstention votes: (Lack of expertise: 3, Lack of time: 1)

The 75% affirmation requirement is met:

110 affirmative votes

10 negative votes with comments

= 91% affirmative (120 votes)

----

While there are 32 comments, they only cover a few topics, as follows:

AutoNeg

1

EZ

8

Link Segment

3

MDI

11

PCS

1

PICS

2

State diagrams

6

There are two hot topics which, I especially urge you to review and think about prior to the meeting.  Of course, you should review all the comments, but these two issues make up 17 of the 32 comments.  They are:

  1. State diagrams - Significant work has gone into validating the PLCA state diagrams, and those have resulted in a set of changes represented by the 6 comments.  Please take time to review the technical detail there – it is important that we get this solid.
  2. MDI - given the discussion on the reflector, I don’t think I need to tell you that the changes made to the MDI section at the August meeting have caused some controversy.  Those changes are connected to all of the new negative votes. I urge you to read and consider those comments.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx