[802.3_NGAUTO] adhoc discussion on startup timing

I was putting together the revised version of the startup timing changes (comment 169) based on what we discussed today and found a minor change is necessary.
The proposed remedy is, as discussed, to editorially have separate tables for master and slave and to define the maximum time intervals between events.
However, when I came to the suggestion of constraining the total and making the time the slave spends in TRAINING (or the master spends between sending en_slave_TX = 1 to entry to COUNTDOWN) a free parameter, there may be a problem.

For example, if one vendor shortens the time it spends in COUNTDOWN and TX_SWITCH (say uses 1 msec), to allow for an extra 0.5 msec in TRAINING, and another uses the maximum COUNTDOWN + TX_SWITCH time (say 1.5 msec, as Mike suggested), then the total time for training will break the budget.

Similarly, if you plan on using longer time in TRAINING on slave, because you usually exit SILENT faster than 40 msec, you get in trouble if the link partner doesn't send you the en_slave_tx until 40 msec...

It seems that we can't just leave the slave's time in TRAINING as a free variable and avoid an interoperability problem, so I've left it specified.

I'm putting together a revised version of the presentation and submitting it to Steve for the meeting.

Thank you for all the feedback.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.
President & Principal
CME Consulting, Inc.