Re: [802.3EEESG] 10BASE-T question

Hi Pat,

Here is my two pennies.

I am guessing that the reason to lower down the output voltage of 10BaseT is
to reduce its power consumption so that higher speed phy can be downgrade to
10BaseT. However, even though we modify the standard to allow lower output
voltage for 10BaseT, we probably will end up a 10BaseT phy which has
comparable power consumption of 100BaseT. It will lose the advantage of
speed change. The benefit of changing the spec could turn out to have a new
lower power 10BaseT when it drives longest CAT 3 cable thus only 10Mbps can
be negotiated successfully.

By the same token, so far no one considered adding a Power Back Off mode on
1000BaseT and 100BaseT for shorter cable length because the saving of power
may be very marginal.

I am afraid that the incentive of changing 10BaseT spec is not as great as
devising an electrical idle mode so that all phy modes (10, 100, 1000, 10G)
can be switched to it.

By the way, in order to meet the template of Fig 14-9 the transmitter
normally needs to pre-emphasize the waveform for fat bit (20ns or 2.5MHz
carrier). I don't have simulation result at hand so I am not sure for the
same amount of pre-emphasis (preset in IC design) used for CAT 3 model test
it still fits the template when we use CAT 5 cable model. We may need to
consider the attenuation difference between 2.5MHz and 5MHz for both cable
models.

Best Regards,

-Joseph Chou