Re: [802.3EEESG] 10BASE-T question

Pat,

The waveform shown is indeed 10BaseT. The plot is done in a rush without excluding the Idle pulse. You may ignore that part.

The voltage in the picture is very reasonable considering the attenuation of 5dB@5MHz for Class D cable.

The template of Fig 14-9 may not have enough margin on point H even though it is scaled beyond the standard (The original standard only asks for scaling factor of 0.9 to 1.1).

As I mentioned, the picture shown is only one data point. The set up is straightforward:

The transmit waveform on the source MDI has 2V p2p. The cable is 100m CAT 5 cable with 100ohm termination.

Anyway, I did not make any proposal. I am trying to find out data to support the following observations:

1.       The reduced voltage 10BaseT seems to cause backward compatibility. However, it is a good candidate toward lowest power PHY mode should electrical idle is not adopted.

2.       The electrical idle may require a brand new PHY interface characteristics. The effort is thus non-trivia.

3.       If the potential electrical idle mode can be drafted and accepted, it could substitute the concept of reduced voltage 10BaseT and then avoid the backward compatibility issue.

Best Regards,

-Joseph