Re: [802.3EEESG] On the topic of tranistion time (was Re: [802.3EEESG] Comments on our work from Vern Paxson)

Mike-

The problem that I have with Vern's look at things is that it is looking
over our shoulders at the past. This may be appropriate for data centers
who services concentrate on best effort services. I am more worried about
(literally) the other end of the problem. That is, consumer networks at the
far-end leaves of the network. My expectation is that much of the growth in
consumer networks will not be from best effort services but rather from a
variety of services that have medium to stringent QoS requirements.

Vern's numbers won't (I would guess) help us very much on the QoS services.

On the other hand, the AV Bridging work going on next door is still in
fairly early stages. I would guess that there is still a chance to put
things into the most time sensitive (and especially variability sensitive)
protocols. This would be (in my imagination) a "grease the path" packet
that would tell the network to come out of lowest power mode. It could have
an expiration counter in it (much like the one in the PAUSE frame) to keep
the speed up til the counter expired. Refreshing the counter (by a new
"grease" packet, or a particular kind of volume or traffic) would keep it
from downshifting.

Geoff