[802.3EEESG] FW: [802.1 - 2966] Fwd: Energy Efficient Ethernet and 802.1

Forwarding this thread on EEE and management from the 802.1 reflector
with Dan's agreement.

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:dromasca@avaya.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:01 AM
To: Pat Thaler; STDS-802-1-L@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802.1 - 2966] Fwd: Energy Efficient Ethernet and 802.1

Hi Pat,

See in-line.

Regards,

Dan

> Dan,
>
> I haven't been at all the EEE meetings, but I don't think reporting
> each speed change by SNMP management has been in any of the
> presentations and I don't think it has been discussed. In some cases,
> speed changes could occur relatively rapidly compared to the events
> that are usually managed such as links going up and down.

Let us think how the event is reported in a network management
environment. It is possible that not all transient speed changes need to
be reported by SNMP, but when going in energy saving mode it looks to me
that we deal with a change of speed and mode of operation that has a
longer term effect and implications on the behavior of applications and
of the bridges and hosts that are being interconnected by the link. The
comparison with link up and down may not be that exaggerated, as some
applications need to shut down as result of the transition, and the
network manager needs to be informed about the reason. Now what happens
if the link that is affected is on the path to the management station? A
whole part of the network and IT environment shuts down without the
operator at least being warned by a notification?

> Would you mind if I forwarded your questions to the EEE reflector so
> that people can think about them before the meeting?

Absolutely, not - please forward and copy me as well, because I am not
subscribed to that list.