[802.3EEESG] P802.3az approved! (and call for presentations)

Colleagues,

P802.3az approved!

NesCom recommended approval of  P802.3az yesterday and the Standards Board approved it this morning.  I congratulate you and thank the members of the study group who contributed their time and effort to make this happen.

EEESG update

The meeting in Seoul, South Korea went well.  The unapproved minutes for July and September are on the web site, as well as a spreadsheet we can use to help make technology decisions in task force.  The spreadsheet is in draft form and will be updated as we make progress.  If you are planning to present in November, you should have a look at it to see the items we will consider for comparison and use this as a reference for developing your presentation.

We had two presentations submitted at the Seoul meeting.  David Law analyzed the impact of frame loss in a protocol-based speed change and Bob Grow reported feedback from 802.1 based on a brief presentation he gave at their meeting during the week of September 3rd.   David asked whether or not we should be considering alternatives to frame-based protocols for speed changes.  I think we need to do so.   The study group agreed that I should give a short presentation at the opening 802.1 plenary meeting during the liaison reports to inform their working group of our work and invite people to attend our meetings and contribute.  It is very important that we work together to minimize impact on time-critical protocols such as those being developed for AVB.

Call for presentations

The first meeting of the 802.3az task force will be held during the week of November 11-16 at the Hyatt Regency Atlanta in Atlanta Georgia.  See http://www.ieee802.org/meeting/index.html for meeting and registration information.  I would like us to hit the ground running at our first task force meeting.  Presentations should be focused on proposals as we work towards developing a baseline.  My goal is to adopt the baseline set of proposals at the end of the March 2008 meeting.  I believe this is achievable if we get off to a good start at this meeting.

Prospective presenters may submit your request per the guidelines at the Procedure for Presenters web page:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/eee_study/public/presentproc.html

Presentation requests and materials are due to me by Wednesday, November 7th.  Presentations should be mailed to me at mjbennett@ieee.org.   Early requests and / or submissions are appreciated.  Please remember that any requests for time or submissions of presentation material containing restrictive notices will be rejected.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Michael J. Bennett
Chair, IEEE 802.3 Energy Efficient Ethernet Study Group