[802.3EEESG] 802.3az task force update

Folks,

We got off to a great start at the first meeting of the 802.3az task
force. For those of you who were not able to attend the meeting, I
recommend reading through the presentations on the 802.3az Energy
Efficient Ethernet website, which is now accessible via the 802.3 website.

You may recall that I was directed by the study group at the meeting in
Seoul to communicate with 802.1 about our work so as to make sure they
know about the work we're doing that will impact them and to give them
the opportunity to speak up regarding any work they are doing that would
impact us.  During the opening plenary, I presented a condensed version
of the tutorial to 802.1 and conducted two straw polls The first poll
asked their preference on transition time by order of magnitude and the
second one asked whether or net they were interested in working on a
control policy.  The presentation, including the polls and results has
been posted on our website. The feedback from them was that they prefer
transition time in the order of microseconds and a number of them are
interested in working on a control policy.  I would also like to thank
Wael for working on the presentation with me.

In the task force meeting, I presented a suggested time-line for the
project and several participants expressed their concern that it was too
aggressive.  Nonetheless I have hope that we still may have a chance to
achieve the milestones on it, the reasons being that the differences
between the technology choices appears to have gotten smaller, the
presentations having to do with transition times all were talking about
microseconds,  and a number of people were working on consensus building
between meetings.  Seeing this kind of work going on this early in the
project is encouraging.

Our next meeting is in Portland, OR at the Marriott Downtown Waterfront
hotel.  We will meet all day on Tuesday, January 22 and Wednesday,
January 23. Watch http://ieee802.org/3/interims/index.html for updates.
For those of you who will be bringing in presentations, I encourage you
to build consensus and get support for your proposals.

I will post the meeting minutes as soon as they are available and I will
send a note to the reflector when this is done.

Regards,

Mike

--
Michael J. Bennett
Chair, IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet Task Force