Re: [802.3EEESG] The paradox of lower speed operation

All,

I agree with Hugh.

His observation of the presented matter substantiates my initial concern
that we can get focused on a means of "lowering speed" a bit too much
and not on the objective "lowering power". I would emphasize that its
important to look at the overall system (aka: Network) with the
objective of lowering power consumption and then work to the means for
doing that in a methodical way.

It seems to me that we have three key areas to concentrate.

A) A system-wide means for communicating the ability, the level of need,
and the timeframes required for assuming lower/higher power states.
B) A link-wide (point-to-point) means for communicating the power state
and providing a "heads-up" that higher capacity is required.
C) A PHY specification for lowering power during low-utilization
periods. This may include specification of B at the PHY level.

Some of these items (A?) may be outside the scope of 802.3 but not
outside of 802 and we should consider how to address that.

I would also note that some PHYs may not need a "lower power" mode of
operation because their active power utilization is low enough that the
effort to reduce it would not be justified by the savings offered.

Dan