[802.3AZ] project update

Dear Colleagues,

The January meeting was very productive. If you read the draft you know there were still a number of TBDs and open items to be resolved, some being cross references and others being unspecified values. We made significant progress, however I don't believe we made enough progress to be able to go to working group ballot in March. I know many task force members worked very hard to try to meet this milestone, but even incorporating the work from the meeting into draft 1.2 will not make a technically complete draft. Although we improved the draft with respect to the use of LLDP, we still have much to do. I have chartered an ad-hoc committee, called the L2 ad-hoc, to use the framework in diab_01_0109.pdf as adopted by the task force to come up with a way to exchange initial values for system wake time and to negotiate the system wake time dynamically. The chair of this ad-hoc is Wael Diab. Wael will use the existing EEE reflector to communicate with ad-hoc participants. If you're interested in participating, please contact him. Wael will report the results of the ad-hoc at the text task force meeting.

Another issue needing work is the system wait time as described in law_01_0109v3.pdf. David identified cases where there could be shrinkage in the system wake time. He introduced new variables, including one for a default system wake time as well as parameters to specify shrinkage. The task force adopted the material in his presentation as a baseline to be incorporated in the next draft. I have chartered an ad-hoc committee to develop this work with the goal of determining values for default, wake, and "shrink" parameters for review at the next task force meeting. This will be the "shrinkage" ad-hoc and David Law is the chair of the ad-hoc. If you would like to participate in this ad-hoc, please contact him. Although I did not discuss how he intends to communicate with the participants with him, I think the EEE reflector would be fine to start.

The July plenary meeting is our next opportunity to submit a draft for Working Group Ballot. I will be working with folks to determine what else needs to be done to have a technically complete draft ready for submission and will send a list of things we need to accomplish to the reflector when that is ready. Our review cycle for draft 1.2 is as follows:

Begin review of draft 1.2:       February 4, 2009
Comment deadline:                February 24, 2009
Proposed responses posted:  March 3, 2009

Once again I would like to thank everyone who has worked on the draft for getting us this far. Although we are slipping with respect to our original time-line, I am hopeful that we will spend less time in Working Group Ballot as a result of the extra effort we will put into the draft in Task Force Review.

Best regards,

Mike

--
Michael J. Bennett
Chair, IEEE P802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet Task Force