Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

[802.3AZ] 10GBASE-T link failure detection and recovery


The response to comment #186 on draft 2.1 requires that the 10GBASE-T ad
hoc prepare a detailed proposal to address link failure detection and
recovery for 10GBASE-T PHYs with the EEE capability. The starting point
for discussion is the material contained in parnaby_03_1109.pdf, which
is at

The ad hoc will produce a document containing a list of changes to the
802.3az clauses required to support the link failure detection and
recovery capability. The document will be published alongside the next
802.3az draft on the 22nd of December. An editor's note will be added to
clause 55 in draft 2.2 to highlight the proposal.

We need ad hoc output by the 22nd of December to align with draft 2.2. I
suggest the following schedule:

We will hold a phone conference call the week after Thanksgiving, to
discuss the existing proposal and prepare for a face-to-face meeting. My
suggestion for a date/time is Thursday the 3rd December at 10-11am PST.
I will send out a meeting notice and agenda for the meeting early next
week. I'd like to encourage people with system management expertise to
participate to ensure we have adequate review of management functionality. 
Any additional material for the meeting should be submitted to me by the 
30th of November to allow time for review - it will be posted on the 
10GBASE-T ad hoc page.

Solarflare will host an all-day face-to-face ad hoc meeting a week later
- provisionally, Thursday the 10th of December - in Irvine, California.
Presentations for the face-to-face meeting must be submitted in advance
(by the end of day on the 7th) to give attendees time for review. They will
be posted on the EEE 10GBASE-T ad hoc page. We will discuss the details of
the meeting on the conference call. If you plan to attend the face-to-face
meeting please let me know by the 7th.

To ensure there is time to document the changes precisely we should aim
to finalize the proposal by the 18th of December. We can discuss
additional phone conference calls at the face-to-face meeting if

If these dates are a problem for anyone planning to attend please let me
know as soon as possible, but there is limited flexibility due to the
relatively tight schedule. Unfortunately I am travelling a lot in the
next week and I may be difficult to reach by phone. I will have access
to email.

Best regards,