RE: [EFM] RE: Relative OSP Costs of PON vs. P2P

Harry,

I agree the potential is there. The design question is when. I think the PON
architecture to allow for this is one which has two levels of splitting,
e.g. 1:4 followed by 1:8. If the 1:4 is placed in the CO, then a 32 node PON
can migrate easily to an 8 node PON by removing the splitter when neccesary.
This will increase the average bandwidth by 4x. There will be zero changes
to the outside plant or subscriber equipment. There is an incremental cost
for fiber in the link between the two splitters but with the average cost of
$US0.025/fiber/ft in a large bundle this is insignificant. The net effect is
a compromise between 32 node PONs and P2P. Obviously, different split rates
can be chosen that will change the cost and migration path.

Also, very few service providers get 100% take rate, especially for high
bandwidth services so planning for the "average" becomes a little more
complicated. I think the major issue for all broadband equipment vendors is
to strike a balance between 1st installed cost and eventual service provider
needs.

Bob Lund
Chief Technical Officer
Optical Solutions Inc.