From: Roy Bynum [mailto:rabynum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 6:36 AM
To: Ryan Hirth; 'jc.kuo@xxxxxxxxxxxx'; glen.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx; zhangxu72@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] RE: EPON TDMA

Ryan,

As a service provider, let me wade in here.

I does not matter how the bandwidth is allocated, as long as the interactive bandwidth is a known quantity that the customer can pay for and get what they pay for.  The amount of bandwidth that each customer gets is more a function of what they are willing to pay for than what the service provider has available.  In many cases it is the security of the data that is more important than the cost.  In spite of several years of having VPNs available, of the availability of Frame Relay or ATM, Private Line services, particularly in Metro/Access, has remained very high.  Small symmetrical bandwidths at rates well below the full capacity will be well received.

Using provisionable bandwidth assignment by allocating more or fewer time slots per customer is a traditional subscription service enabled by what is called "virtual concatenation".  A decent size FIFO to rate adjust between the customers constant stream of traffic and the assigned time slots would be one way of doing that.  The additional cost of the FIFO would still  be less than the cost of a DSU/CSU in current technology services.  The ability to do that variable bandwidth provisioning will be more of a system/upper level application than part of the PHY.  That is one reason that those of us working on the OAM part of this have tried to stay away from the "Provisioning" part of the issues.

There is a major difference in the reliability and data stability of Ethernet compared to IP or FR.  Even the SAR function of ATM induces a latency variance that does not meet inherent Ethernet quality.  In lab testing we have found that Ethernet data stability and reliability are only exceeded by traditional TDM technology.  Adding the ability to provision variable numbers of time slots for variable bandwidth provisioning only increases the market penetration that Ethernet access will have.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum