RE: [EFM] Necessity of DBA mechanisms ...

Roy,

QoS implementation typically relies on layer 2 mechanisms - RSVP is the
signaling protocol that is layer 2 independent. The actual scheduling part
of QoS relies on Layer 2 specific implementation. With shared access
networks such as ePON there has to be a way to schedule transmissions for
competing traffic flows. As such, QoS cannot be implemented at Layer 3
alone.

QoS allows precise differentiation among these competing traffic flows down
to the application flow level, if needed. Without this differentiation, all
application flows get the same (i.e. best effort) treatment. Hence the low
margin service common denominator.

You can certainly throw additional bandwidth to resolve the QoS issues.
However, this does not scale, especially on subscriber access networks which
typically see substantial oversubscription to be economical.

Harry