RE: [EFM] P2MP -> P2P migration path

Jonathan, I had the same interpretation so I await Carlos' answer.

I would also like to clarify the overall point, as I interpret it anyway. I
would summarize it like this:

A TDMA-PON can only truly claim to be upgradeable to WDM if the original
definition of the TDMA PON defines the upgrade path at least in terms of the
wavelength plan. An arbitrarily loose wavelength definition at the first
step limits the possibilities at the upgrade step since the upgrade may
interfere with the original, in the lambda domain.

Another issue is that there are different ways to upgrade to WDM. For
example, it may be individual wavelengths that still utilize TDMA within a
given wavelength, or it may go to dedicated, single-user wavelengths.
Another possibility is time-multiplexed 10G and 1G bursts, across several
wavelengths. In any case, if an AWG is used for wavelength routing, even
though it is a passive device it would still require power for the
temperature compensation portion that is necessary today to meet industrial
temp range. That makes for an undesirable situation of providing power to a
previously all-passive outside enclosure. It may also require a change in
size to this outside enclosure. If an AWG is not used, then
wavelength-selective filtering is needed for ONU receivers, and these need a
grid and a range.

The easy answer for the lambda spacing is make it as wide as possible.
However, this limits the number of lambdas you can stack in the future.
Spacing that is too tight is not cost-effective. What is a "just right"
spacing for several years out? 200GHz over temperature?  Maybe. A grid
defined on 50GHz spacing can still be used as a 200GHz grid when the time
comes, but allows flexibility in the future outcomes. Any thoughts?