From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: 13 August 2001 23:30
To: Sherman Ackley
Cc: stds-802-3-efm
Subject: RE: [EFM] EFM Requirements

At 04:50 PM 8/13/01 -0400, Sherman Ackley wrote:
Q3.  (a) For DSL/EFM to succeed in the marketplace, it is necessary that a
technician does not have to be dispatched to the home to install a splitter.
(b) In a splitterless environment, the network signal and the HomePNA signal
will ride the same cable pair in the house.  That makes coexistence a
necessity.  The reason for this is that pair one will appear in every jack,
but pair two may be cut off in the majority of homes.

Sherm-

I do not agree.

Our discussion to date have pretty well driven us to the conclusion that there will have to be a piece of demarcationir equipment that will isolate the line, at least in the frequency range above voice.

Whether this box requires a truck roll or can be purchased by the consumer and self-installed is pretty much beside the point. The box will have to provide the demarcation function and have functionality (if not hardware) that is owned by the service provider in order to meet their OA&M requirements.

Further, we can not expect Service Providers who are operating at the Nyquist limit to be willing to coexist with and guarantee service in an environment with every piece of uncontrolled hobby gear that a homeowner has a right to plug into a phone jack.

I predict that isolation and demarcation will not be optional.

Geoff Thompson/Nortel