Re: [EFM] EFM Requirements

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:58:28 +0100  "Lough, Andy" wrote:
> for those of us unaware of docsis, could you perhaps highlight the key areas
> that make it especially attractive?

I will try!

One significant advantage is that enjoyed by Ethernet: DOCSIS is a
well known protocol with millions of units deployed.  That means that
the chips are cheap, the software is cheap and the labor is cheap
(lots of documentation and people who are already familiar with DOCSIS.)

DOCSIS does an excellent job of modem control.  The Network Operator
can effectively monitor and adminstrate the CPE (modem.)

DOCSIS plays well with the Internet Protocol and Ethernet suite by
reuses existing designs.  It uses Ethernet, ARP, IP, tftp, SNMP and
DHCP.  These are well understood and debugged protocols which are
cheap, widely available and have many third party tools.  They
integrate well with existing networks.

As a side-note, I understand a number of wireless modems have adopted
DOCSIS as well for the above reasons.

My experience is with DOCSIS 1.0.  This version does not have as much
security as one would like.  I understand that DOCSIS 1.1 attempts to
address security concerns, but I have no experience with 1.1.

If you would like to learn more, you can visit the cable companies
equivalent of Bellcore (Telcordia) at http://www.cablelabs.com.  The
actual DOCSIS specifications are at:

http://www.cablemodem.com/specifications.html

which can also be found via the CableLabs site.

regards,
fletcher