From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Fletcher E
Kittredge
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 2:36 PM
To: Sherman Ackley
Cc: 'bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; Sukanta ganguly;
ramu_raskan@angelfire.com; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [EFM] EFM Requirements

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:32:44 -0400  Sherman Ackley wrote:
> This discussion about fiber to the home or to the curb is an interesting
> diversion, but is not what the work group should be focusing on.
>
> The focus should be on Ethernet over existing telephone company copper
> wires.  That is what we, the service providers, want to buy.

Sherman;

        As a rural CLEC I disagree with you.  I think that EFM over
fiber is at least as important as EFM over copper.  I think it is
short-sighted to only concentrate on the legacy network.
Realistically, all your constituents have to deploy an all fiber
network over the next period.  Otherwise, competitors will do it for
them.

regards,
fletcher