Re: [EFM] What Ethernet are we talking about?

Carlos,

I agree that "the Ethernet that we are used to" is not what will be
deployed by service providers.  I have been working with Ethernet for 21
years.  At WorldCom we have been characterizing Ethernet in various
environments for several years.  Many of the characteristics that will be
of interest to service providers are not even properly documented.  I have
also been active in developing standards for mapping Ethernet into existing
transmission systems.

There are still gaps in what "Ethernet" can do.  The character of VLANs
creates a flat network architecture that has scaling problems.  VLANs  will
also not classify as "Private Line", which is still a requirement of most
businesses.  Several of the comments about segregation of customer traffic
is right on target.

Done properly, EFM can make it possible to provide high value services with
minimal cost to customers.  EFM can also be a direct edge link for not only
new types of services but also an evolution for existing services.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
WorldCom