Re: [EFM] OAM loop back / echo server function

On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:32:24 -0500  Roy Bynum wrote:
> There will need to be some physical layer command functionality in order
> to  provide management functions that are not data traffic invasive.  That
> is one of the requirements of the OAM.  If it is not done within the EFM
> physical layer, then the service will only be "best effort" and not the
> high margin services that will be required to pay for the infrastructure
> deployment of EFM.

The above opinion is that best effort IP is not suitable for high margin
services.  There are many well-educated, very experienced and
successful engineers who hold the opposite opinion: that correctly
configured, best effort IP is the most cost effective solution for
providing high margin services.  We feel we have a sufficiency of data
to back up this position (for an incomplete introduction,  start with:
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2001/0820bradner.html .)

I am not asking you to agree with us.  I don't think this is the
proper forum for the discussion.  I do request that your above
statement is noted as opinion not fact, and ask that nothing make it
into the standard which would impose additional cost on those who do
not agree with your opinion.  That is, if you can add the OAM
management functionality to 802.3ah with no increase in complexity,
please do so. Otherwise, it belongs in a different spec.

In my view, arguments about the necessity of QoS should probably take
place off line.  However, it is indisputable that the necessity of QoS
is disputable (sorry!)

thank you again,
fletcher
--