RE: [EFM] OAM developing Geoff's observation.

Hi Bob,

I think following issues for OAM in EFM to decide in-band or side-band OAM support.

1. What needs to be done for OAM in 802.3ah? Influences in-band or side-band decision?

2. How OAM is done?
Since, 802.3ah has extension EFM (etherenet in first mile), with that there seems to be two choices:
   a) Both layer 1 and layer 2 are Ethernet, or
   b) layer 1 does not have to be Ethernet, but layer 2 is Ethernet.

In case a) there are further couple of choices:
i)  All the existing Ethernet PHYs and any new 802.3 PHY MUST be supported.
ii) A new EFM phy will be developed and MUST be supported, and support for any
    802.3 Ethernet PHY is optional.

If only a) and ii) are the objectives then either in-band or side-band can achieve the
objective with side-band (preamble/ipg) being more beneficial. If b) and i) are objectives
then I am not sure there are many choices other than in-band.

Now, if EFM Service Providers want side-band (preamble/ipg or any other added SONET/SDH like)
solution (and hence a requirement) then objectives can be accordingly, i.e. a) and ii) from above.

But, if the method is not specified and left to open then I guess everybody is open to non-interoperability.

Thanks,
Sanjeev Mahalawat