Re: [EFM] Of mice and modems

Howard,

A demarc is a function, not a device.  There are any number of types of
devices that can function as a demarc.  I very much agree with you that
802.3ah should not be defining "modems" that might be used as demarc
devices.  I do think that 802.ah should be defining the OAM functionality
that will provide customers (in this case, the service providers) and the
vendors supplying them the ability to define a device that will act as a
"demarc" and exactly what functionalities they may or may not have, based
on the individual customer's service requirements.

It may be important here to remember that the customers of the products
produced using the 802.3ah standard are going to be primarily the service
providers, not the end user or enterprise network.  Unlike previous efforts
by 802.3 which were targeted at enterprise network users, (or even the
10GbE WAN PHY which is for enterprise networks to be able to leverage the
existing 10G SONET/SDH optical infrastructure,) 802.3ah is targeted at
supporting the data transmission service providers subscription network
infrastructure.  Having the customers up front define what functionality is
needed may be a bit different than what some 802 people are used to.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum