RE: [EFM] Of mice and modems

Howard,

T'was I :-).

Not a definition in the standard's sense obviously, but something I would
put forward as a technical proposal to be accepted as a working definition
within the context of EFM OAM. The group will need a working definition of
the demarc, and this will probably be a different definition for each of the
media (copper, p2p and p2mp). The demarc can be 'inside' the CPE, so what is
different about it being inside a chip inside the CPE?

Without a definition of the demarc it will be very difficult to define the
managed objects for parameters that relate to the demarc (and only to the
demarc). The managed objects for MAC functions are pretty well defined, and
so are most of the ones for the conventional 802.3 PHYs. These are already
implemented in vendor specific ways and mostly accessed via in-band SNMP.

Hopefully we (EFM) will only need add a few that are specific to EFM PHY
functionality, like test modes for example, and EFM need only add an OAM
data link to support the minimalist set of these objects and functions. The
rest is out of scope and catered for at higher layers.

One of the EFM OAM functions might be to switch the payload customer port
off and divert the MAC stream from the up-link to the management entity
within the CPE. The gives the OAM stream dedicated full bandwidth to do
things like upgrades, without nailing it up all the time. May be I should
have patented that idea before publicising it ;-).

My definition of demarc seems a logical one to me for p2p, even if a tad
biased toward the telco mind set. There is nothing complicated about
defining a demarc within a PHY chip.

Folks - enjoy your weekend, mine is just about to start, not that I won't be
working tomorrow and Sunday, and making a few more 'contributions' to the
debates ;-).

Bob Barrett