RE: [EFM] Network timing, ATM, ADSL/VDSL and EFM

Sorry Ariel, I think you have mis-interpreted some of the technical details
here.

In E1 TS16 is used for common channel signalling, and in T1 the bit robbing
CAS (that cuts 64k down to 56k) is also for PSTN signalling. It might be
used for OAM in DDS services. Call control is a layer two data link and
layer three and above call control function and is analogous to IP within
the payload in EFM, and not an equivalent of OAM.

In T1 the 193rd bit is used for sync and the OAM channel in a superframe
mechanism (16 frames give you two bytes, six bits of which are the OAM / FDL
channel).

In E1 TS0 is used for sync, and although there are National and
International Bits that could be used for OAM there is no ITU specification
for how most of them should be / could be used, and no common implementation
certainly not in the UK. The only spec. that is defined is for alarm bits.
The UK E1 uses a wrapper round the E1 within the telco (ILEC / BT) network,
this includes a side band for OAM, so OAM it is totally disconnected from
the 2048kbit/s stream. This actually supports the case for side-band, as
there are good reasons for doing what they do  :-). 64k in the UK gets
delivered as two wire bi-direction simplex at 256k, or using 2B1Q in newer
systems. Both have OAM in side bands.

Best regards

Bob