Re: [EFM] flow control in 802.3 - HPNA 1.0

HPNA 1.0 did this in the past.  The period of the TX_CLK was changed to
accomodate the additional physical layer time required.  It is described
(albeit in somewhat sparse detail) in section 3 of the 1M8 HPNA
specification.

charlie raasch
conexant systems.

                    "Vladimir Oksman"
                    <oksman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>                To:     "Hugh Barrass" <hbarrass@xxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     "MARC KIMPE" <marc.kimpe@adtran.com>, stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
                    owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordom        Subject:     Re: [EFM] flow control in 802.3
                    o.ieee.org

                    11/01/01 07:27 AM

Hugh,

     I also have the same feeling - an artificial collision signal is
something we can use. It doesn't seems good from the first glance to add
new signals.

Vladimir.

Hugh Barrass wrote:

> Marc,
>
> What a good question!
>
> This is a problem that we (almost certainly) have to solve in the copper
track. We are looking for suggestions, the ones that immediately come to
mind are:

> MII clock adjustment
> IPG stretching
> .3x pause frames
> half-duplex back pressure (force collision)
> new signal for pause/continue
>
> The matter was discussed at length during .3ae - take a look at 10G
website...

>  http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/muller_1_0700.pdf
>
> There are various other discussions of this on 10G. It's not clear that
the arguments and conclusions are valid for .3ah in the same way as .3ae -
but it's always worth taking a look.

> Hugh.
>
> PS - Any of the 10G'ers care to comment?
>
> MARC KIMPE wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Is there a way to transmit flow control information across an MII
interface from the PHY direction to the MAC ? If yes could someone point me
to the pertaining clause of 802.3 ?

> > In other words, let's assume that a PHY for some reason or other can
only transmit at 3Mbps while information to that PHY flows at 10Mbps. How
can the PHY tell the MAC to stop sending ? I saw some presentations related
to 10 Gigabit Ethernet that proposed various mechanisms but I do not know
if anything was adopted.