Re: [EFM] Re: OAM - this is Ethernet Bob but not as we know it

Thanks Matt.  That's definitive and we need that in the EFM work.  Anybody object?

Richard Brand

Matt Squire wrote:

> I know Denny addressed the issue in a later note, but just to be clear
> to the masses -
>
> Whatever transport mechanism is defined for OAM will be defined
> completely and definitively within the 802.3 specification and will not
> require 802.1D or any other non-802.3 mechanism for either
> implementation or specification.
>
> I hope this officially becomes dead issue.  I think these exchanges
> should satisfy all that we will define a complete specification within
> 802.3ah.
>
> - Matt
>

> > I think it would be a good idea to ask Denny for some further explanation as
> > to how the 'management in frames' frames take priority over payload frames
> > within the scope of 802.3. I think I remember (seeing or hearing the answer)
> > that this relied on an implementation specific use of two queues which is
> > outside of the scope of 802.3.
> >
> > >From what I remember of 802.1D the prioritisation of BPDUs is an
> > implementation issue. 802.1D is a protocol specification. There is no
> > definition of transport over which BPDUs run within the 802.1D spec., other
> > than an assumption that it is an 802 MAC of some type.
> >
> > My point being that whilst OAM is a protocol within 802.3, and as such the
> > protocol can be compared with 802.1D, we are also defining an OAM transport.
> > The delivery mechanism for OAM transport needs to be deterministic
> > irrespective of MAC traffic load in order to meet the requirements of the
> > service provider market place. We can argue semantics on deterministic until
> > our BSE infected cows come home, but I think we all know what is reasonable
> > and what is not reasonable from the service provider's point of view. They
> > will test with zero packets and with flood packets, and expect OAM to work
> > at both extremes.

begin:vcard
n:Brand;Richard C.
tel;work:408 495 2462
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Advanced Technology Investments;Nortel Networks (408) 495 2462
version:2.1
email;internet:rbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Director, Network Architecture & Applications
fn:Richard C. Brand
end:vcard