From: carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:02 PM
To: bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: David Levi; owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org;
stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org; stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@ieee.org;
vincent.bemmel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EFM-P2MP] 10G EPONs (it was MPCP: Report message)

Bob,

> May be  we should be specifying 10G-EPON given that the service
> providers are  looking at 30x3 channels of HDTV per PON.
> By the time 1G-EPON is standardised it  could be too little
> too late (again).

Serious. Why not investigate this? It may look like overkill, but we
should
at least understand the price/performance here. Let us see how do it
fare:

- it does not need to be 1 Gbps, or 10 Gbps. Maybe 2.5 Gbps is a good
compromise for the near future.
- higher bit rate can be used to counterbalance the relative
inneficiency
of the MPCP protocol. It's a diminishing return equation - the faster
the
system, the less efficient it will turn out because of the fixed
parameters
such as laser on/off times. A sweet spot may lie at some point.
- how do the cost increase with higher speed optics (more than 1 Gbps),
compared with a more complex (and efficient) MPCP implementation?

Did someone check this at some point over the past few months?

[Just to remind, once again: traditional Ethernet was half duplex, only
40-60% typical efficiency. It was fast enough for a long time, and
*much*
less expensive than any of the alternatives. As technology evolved, it
was
possible to go full duplex, and the rest is history.]

Carlos Ribeiro
CTBC Telecom