From: owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Gerry
Pesavento
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 6:29 PM
To: bob.barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; carlosal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: david@broadlight.com; stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org;
stds-802-3-efm-p2mp@ieee.org; vincent.bemmel@alloptic.com
Subject: RE: [EFM] [EFM-P2MP] 10G EPONs

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the invite ;)

> 2.5G, 10G P2MP

In my opinion, I don’t think we should work on 2.5/10 Gbps P2MP at this
time.

-- 1Gbps is our voted (>75%)Objective

-- 1Gbps P2MP is the access sweet spot over the next 5-10 years.
Depending on the number of splits, this is in the range of 30Mbps to
1Gbps, on average, per ONU. I know very, very few businesses, let alone
homes, that have this kind of bandwidth today, less than 0.1% (one in a
thousand) is my guess.

-- 1Gbps symmetric is Ethernet speed

-- 1Gbps component pricing will fall rapidly; this is the cost curve to
ride for a standard that will emerge next year.

-- The MPCP protocol is Frame based, using Frame messages (like PAUSE),
and can scale, later, to higher speeds.

-- No service provider has the capacity today to metro-back-haul
multiple 2.5/10G residental and small business access links.

-- And the big one:  I have not heard service providers request 2.5/10G
EPON. By the way, I have heard them always, every time, without
exception, ask for low cost ;)

So I am in favor of 1Gbps symmetrical MPCP P2MP, which I believe what we
are working on.

Best regards,

Gerry Pesavento