[EFM] RE: Single wavelength, single fiber PMD for P2P

P2P's

I reading the e-mails on various wavelength plans, and types of laser,
I'd like to offer my opinion which was discussed to some degree at the
Raleigh, NC meeting. Many points have been raised, pointing out the
Pros and Cons of each variation

I supporting a single wave length 1310nm Tx and 1310nm Rx. Note this
is different from what Vipul was describing in his e-mail relating to single
wave length 1310. I believe he was describing a 1310+ and 1310- for
Tx/Rx. Where Tx & Rx never overlap. Technology exists to differentiate
a reflection from a signal being transmitted at the other end of a link.
For example it can be done with link design and signal/reflections being
maintained below 6db (As described in Vipul's Portland presentation).
Its also possible to differentiate between reflections and a signal being
transmitted over a 10KM link via the LOS (threshold) indicator. FP could
be used at either end of the link, the limiting factor will of course be the
PMD in an ONU where it may be located outdoors. Since we have
spec'd the ONU to operate from -40 to +85C the total range is 125
degrees, as described in Vipul e-mail. It is certainly not necessary
to double the number if we are not defining a 1310+ / 1310- P2P link.
Even with a 125C Temp the delta wave length range is conservatively
only 62.5 nm. (Using 0.5nm/C specificed in Vipul's e-mail, although
I think the wave length drift is closer to 0.4nm/C) We voted on case
temp rating versus ambient for the PMD, the FP laser and IC junction
temp's will be at least 10-20C higher within 10-20 seconds of power
up. In operation, their will be a theta C-A Case to Ambient of 5-30C/
Watt, the smaller the heat spreading area the greater the delta between
Case and Ambient temperature. We also should consider the theta
J-C Junction to Case rise. If it's an IC mounted in a package with a
thermal heat slug, the theta C-A is very low about one degree C/W,
however most of the components that go into a module are ether bare
die mounted to an internal surface, or are in plastic packages where
theta J-C is large. This just means that the active devices operate at
higher Temps then either the Case or Ambient Temperature. I believe
the 0.4nm/C I mentioned is not linear, it decreases as temperature
increases. In short the max wave length drift the FP would be
subjected to depends on the worst case delta nm/C, at 0.5nm/C a
FP centered at 1310nm would drift +/- 31nm or 1279nm to 1341nm.
At 0.4 nm/C it would only drift +/- 25nm or 1285nm to 1335nm. These
are worst case numbers, sample measurments are better. I hope this
resolves the wavelength drift over temperature issue for FP's but I
welcome additional data or feedback.

Another issue raised was the "benefit" of having a single PMD for P2P and
P2MP. Someone said the same thing I said on this issue just the other
day which was "Lets stop trying to design a Swiss army knife." We will
probably need a different PMD for each application. The P2MP PMD's have
different needs and requirements, for one, the laser driver needs a control to
shut it down. P2P links do not have these requirements. But what does
make since is the fact that a true 1310/1310nm Tx/Rx single fiber solution
only requires a single PMD design for both end's of the link. This has several
advantages, only one PMD to keep in inventory, and fewer mistakes during
installation, since there is only one PMD to chose from and only one fiber to
connect to it. Finally, a 1310/1310nm link is much easier to add a 1550 video
overlay, then a 1310/1490nm link.

One other point on reflections, the carriers I've talked with say their existing
networks have 20 dB ODN-ORL, thus a 10KM run is no problem. They also
say that new installations will have 30 dB ODN-ORL, which makes hitting a
reach of 20KM much easier. Of course MPN is the actual limitation for
20KM links, and agreeing on a smaller K value is key to getting there.

In short for P2P the least expensive solution available today is FP's, using
single mode, single wave length, single fiber networks.

Regards,

Tony Anderson

I've attached some of the e-mail treads from Jack and Vipul on this topic below.

In a message dated 2/14/02 3:54:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,