RE: [EFM] [EFM-OAM] OAM Transport Proposal

All,

I am sorry I am responding so late. I assume from the exchange of e-mails up
to this date
that my oppinions will be in minority.

What I do not see in this proposal is the compromise.
The main idea of the Suzuki preamble proposal was the support for non-MAC
based
optical ethernet termination units - sometimes called converters. These
units
are the most inexpensive form of deploying Ethernet based FTTH or Optical
Ethernet.
The intention of the preamble proposal was to support the link management
for these
type of units. These are widely deployed worldwide, and especially in Japan.
And also
this type of basic optical ethernet termination makes sense as a starting
deployment
point.

As I see in slide 5, in order to determine the capabilities of each end unit
a frame
exchange needs to take place. If the CPE side is a converter, that normally
does not
have frame/MAC support, than there is no link management.

I assume that this is what the customers - the service providers - had in
mind.

This is the essence of the proposal. The rest can be agreed through enough
work and
intelligence. But, by eliminating the basic idea of the Suzuki preamble
proposal,
we also eliminated the basic link management capabilities of a simple non
MAC type
Optical Ethernet Termination... To correct this, we can add a simple
auto-sense capability
based on preamble information transmission that will affect the link only
when the
link goes from down to up.

Too bad that this is not on the agenda...

Sergiu Rotenstein

The information contained in this electronic mail is privileged and
confidential, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in
error, please immediately notify Disclaimer@xxxxxxxxxx Thank you.