Re: [EFM] [EFM-OAM] OAM Transport Proposal

Geoff, Roy,

Please allow me to detail this specific portion of the current EFM OAM
Baseline proposal which includes a means to quickly and efficiently,
without
impact to customer bandwidth, report fault and alarm conditions. When
such conditions occur, and frames are flowing over the link, the report
is transported via an unused portion of a frame's preamble. When such
conditions occur, and frames are not flowing over the link, the report
is transported via an 8-byte report whose format is the same as if it
had been included in the preamble of a frame. In either case, the report
is terminated at the RS and does not get to the MAC.

The proposed optional report is applicable to all optical EFM PHYs and
some copper PHYs, providing a fairly universal mechanism for report
transport. Other Ethernet variants provide similar reports in a
variant-dependent manner. For example, IEEE P802.3ae (10GbE) supports
LF/RF reports via a 4-byte ordered-set, also in the IPG.

Best Regards,
Rich