Re: (corrected) Re: [EFM] RE: OAM Transport Proposal

Rich,

The limitation of 125us for alarm indication signal generation is the
reason that I believed that a compromise that included the alarm bits in
the Ethernet Preamble for Packet service subscription networks was
reasonable.  The unwillingness to compromise by others on the rest of the
"OAMiP" proposal, I found unreasonable.

I believe that it is you and others that are attempting to confuse people
by saying that OAMiP and SONET handle OAM information the same.  It only
takes a look at the "stack" of 10GbE WIS tell that they are not the
same.  The SONET OAM overhead bytes do not contain any customer data.  In
802.3ae, the overhead bytes are not encoded with the 64b/66b encoding, the
customer data is.  OAMiP is very different than any data transmission
services protocol that exists today.

This is not always bad.

The service providers have been asking for a protocol that makes it
possible to manage packet services end to end.  Frame Relay comes close by
providing a separate facility into the customer's router through a separate
PVC.  The end link PVC does not provide end to end management that can be
transported as part of the customer managed data service.  OAMiF does, and
OAMiP might be able to, provide that end to end packet service management
functionality.

 From the data transmission services standards viewpoint, SONET overhead
bytes and customer payload are considered separate facilities.  I am not
sure, perhaps I can provide an analogy:

Think of Ethernet frames as individual people that are passengers on major
highway.  SONET is like a major highway system that is built for each
customer to provide their own cars or buses to carry passengers.  Each car
or bus is a separate payload on the SONET system.  The cars, which contain
passengers, belong to individuals, the customers.  SONET is just the
highway.  Over that highway, someone may also run a bus service that also
carries passengers, which pay on a per passenger basis for getting a ride
on the highway.  The individually owned cars and trucks are using what
would be equivalent to a leased circuit Private Line service.  The
passengers on the bus service are using what would be equivalent to a
Packet service.  The bus belongs to the service provider as well as the
seats on the bus.  The bus, which provides the bulk transport of passengers
in a common space, is also a customer on the SONET highway.

Perhaps by this analogy, you can see that packet services are also a
customer payload on a SONET system, not the SONET system itself.  Packet
services use the same facilities as leased circuit Private Line
customers.  Packet services provide a common bandwidth within a provisioned
payload of the SONET system for many different customers.  Leased circuit
Private Line services provide an exclusive use bandwidth within a
provisioned payload of a SONET system for an single customer.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum