Re: [EFM] RE: OAM Proposals - a ping by any other name

Jean-Lou,

The simple premise that from a data transport services standards
definition, the encoding of the transmitted data is part of the data link
layer, not the physical layer breaks every one of your arguments.

The fact that IEEE looks at the encoding as a physical layer function while
transmission services look at it as a data link function creates a
distinction.  If P802.3ah is trying to define a subscription network OAM
function that meets current data transmission services standards then it
has to recognize that distinction in order to recognize what and what is
not part of the "customer payload bandwidth".  (The ironic thing is that
"customer payload bandwidth" is a marketing term, not part of the data
transmission services standards.)

I am simply trying to get people to recognize where the different forms of
OAM proposals fall within the international data transmission services
standards.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum