Re: [EFM] [EFM-OAM] OAM Transport Proposal

Roy,

I'm unaware of anyone in the OAM sub-Task Force who has proposed the use
of Logical PHY ID for OAM in general. Since you had been a member of the
OAM sub-Task Force you know this full well. I'll kindly ask you to stop
spreading any more FUD on this and related issues so we can all get down
to real work.

For the record: PHY ID, designating Logical PHY ID is specified in the
preamble format of the OAM Baseline to indicate the format of the entire
preamble. Furthermore, an asterisk is placed on this field with the
asterisk text stating: "PHY ID for P2MP only".

Please also be aware that this issues of OAM for P2MP are not resolved
and OAM is required for P2MP as it is for P2P. I don't believe that
we'll be able to use the PHY ID field for an OAM-specific function when
OAM functions in the preamble are active in a P2MP application.

I've attached the latest OAM Baseline proposal the EFM OAM sub-Task
Force is working on. It's dated 4/22. Please see slide 10.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Roy Bynum wrote:

> Brad,
>
> If I remember correctly, the baseline that was accepted for the P2MP MPCP
> protocol used the PHY ID in an 8 byte preamble.  There has yet to be a
> requirement for PHY ID outside of P2MP.  There are several people that are
> trying to make it part of the baseline for OAM in general, but I do not see
> the need.  (I wish that I had patented the idea of the PHY ID before I
> presented it at the May 2001 meeting.  I would have better control over it
> now.)
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum
>
> At 08:18 AM 4/25/2002 -0700, Booth, Bradley wrote:
>
> >Onn,
> >
> >I don't have a copy of the 802.3 minutes from the St. Louis meeting, so I
> >can neither confirm nor deny your statement about PHY ID.  If PHY ID
> >requires 8 bytes of preamble, then they will have to figure out how to
> >change previous clauses to generate the required 8 bytes.  If PHY ID doesn't
> >require 8 bytes of preamble, but only enough bytes to pass the PHY ID and a
> >CRC, then the level of changes will decrease.  I'm also assuming that PHY ID
> >is inserted or used below the RS.  If not, this will change the impact
> >dramatically too.
> >
> >When looking at PHY ID, OAM and EFM in general, we have to look at the full
> >scope of the project, not just the deltas of each new feature, which leads
> >to feature-creep.  The impact of OAM addition to 802.3 has more impact on
> >existing clauses than any of our previous standards efforts.  802.3 has been
> >reluctant in the past to open up these clauses more than necessary because
> >of the possibility of breaking something or breaking all existing
> >implementations in the market.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Brad

OAMtransport_042202.pdf