From: owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-efm@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of larry
rennie
Sent: 01 July 2002 23:31
To: stds-802-3-efm
Subject: [EFM] EFM FEC Proposals

Fellow EFM Task Force Members,

At the last EFM meeting in Edinburgh we passed the following FEC motion:

17. Motion to add an FEC option for the 1Gig P2P and P2MP PHY,
maintaining backward compatibility with the 1000BASE-X PCS, for the
following reasons:
    1. Improves reach of a MPN limited link by 50% for links with MPN
penalty of about 2dB
    2. Permits operation at a SNR lower by 2.5 dB for non-dispersion
limited links.

Two different FEC implementation proposals will be presented in
Vancouver and they are posted under the General Session material on the
EFM web site.  One proposal is frame based and the other is stream
based.  If you are at all interested in FEC for EFM, I encourage you to
please take a look at these two proposals and get your comments and
questions back onto the reflector before the meeting.  This will give
the presenters and their supporters time to formulate a proper response
and will conserve our precious meeting time in Vancouver.

Regards,

Larry