RE: [EFM] Please Read - New Orleans Meeting

Howard -

I appreciate your strongly worded exhortation to stay at the meeting
hotel at meeting hotel rates at EFM meetings.  I have hosted meetings
for other standards organizations, and know that it is a tremendous
amount of work, and can result in a significant financial exposure if
room/night commitments to the hotel are not met.  In the past, our
company has always encouraged its meeting delegates to stay at the host
hotel at the meeting rate.

Unfortunately, a tight economy has hit our industry particularly hard.
Companies are looking for ways to cut expenses, and travel budgets are
an easy target.  For our division in my company, we currently have a
limit of $90 per night for hotel rooms, and all company travel requires
VP approval.  This generally means staying at a Fairfield Inn, La
Quinta, etc.  I doubt that most companies have as tight of a travel
restriction as ours.  But I would guess that supervisors and corporate
bean counters are increasingly questioning hotel rooms in the $150-200
range.

I would assume that one of the goals of 802.3 is to maximize
participation of member companies.  The EFM work is certainly
significant to us, and we want to send representatives whenever
possible.  We plan on sending a representative to New Orleans.  But
because of company policy, he will be staying at another hotel and will
appear on your "list".  It's not our intent to hurt the host by doing
this.  It's simply our only choice.

Given the current economic climate, standards organizations may do well
to try to limit the expenses to participants:
* As I indicated above, lower room/night commitments by the host may be
wise.
* Consideration might be given to whether goals can be met with fewer
and/or shorter meetings.
* Are receptions worth the expense?  How about afternoon snacks?  ($2
cookies and cokes add up fast.)
* It helps to go for off-season locations and avoid luxury areas.  (For
us, Hawaii is a "don't even bother to ask" location.)
* The additional meeting fee that you suggested in your e-mail may be a
way to go.  For us, it is generally easier to get approval for meeting
fees or dues than to get a travel policy exception.)

Again, I very much appreciate the work of the meeting planners and
hosts, and know that they put in a great deal of effort.   But in the
interest of promoting maximum participation at meetings, I wanted to
call attention to our own company travel restrictions and suggest that
other companies may face similar restrictions.

Pete Youngberg