RE: [EFM] PON timing parameters - a conservative's view

Jonathan,

Thanks for your support and appreciation. I also reviewed your
earlier note (Nov 22) on this reflector, highlighting your
concerns with the technical feasibility of rapid timing
parameters.

Frank,

What I see is a fair number of people (like Jonathan) who are
skeptical of the technical feasibility of fast timing
parameters. Yes, I also see a fair number of people with an
opposite viewpoint.

That's why I put two elements in my proposal - slow default
values, and  a facility to switch to faster implemented values.
I submit that this is a reasonable way to reduce technical risk
(perceived or real) and satisfy both viewpoints.

I also think that commonality between GPON and EFM PMD is going
to be so difficult to achieve that it will be self-defeating for
an implementer to try (apart from being out of scope for us).
Take Extinction Ratio, for example. GPON.pmd specifies 10 dB
(min), while EFM specifies 6 dB (min). To achieve commonality,
an implementer has to build all devices at the 10 dB ER spec.
Such an idea will be very hard to sell to an Ethernet optics
vendor, who will likely correlate 10 dB extinction ratio with
high cost and low yields. I remember that this is one of the
reasons why the optics group chose 6 dB ER for P2MP in the first
place, after discussing it in the meetings.

Regards,
Vipul