Re: [EFM] Banana networks

Geoff,

I believe that you may be a bit confused.  The article that you reference
is about the TDM facilities to buildings.  The "fat pipe" referred to are
the "channels" in the TDM facilities which have been forced to be
"unbundled" by federal regulations to allow competitors access to
customers.  The channelization of TDM makes it possible for multiple
service providers to cleanly provide services to customers over the same
transmission facilities.  Without the federal regulations that force the
incumbents to sell these "channels" as leased facilities to the competition
at close to their operational costs, there would be no competition for
customers.

This brings to light two issues.  Without a political will to force it upon
them, facilities owners would impose monopolistic control of customers and
the services that they receive.  The government can not force "unbundling"
of technology that does not lend itself to that by providing
"channelization" that will cleanly segregates the service providers.

The government is failing in its political will to prevent monopolistic
practices and the technology developers are not supplying new technology
that will support non-monopolistic deployments.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum