[EFM] Re: [EFM-Copper] [EFM-copper] update of carrier perspective on SHDSL presentation

John,

I'll be happy to address some of your questions by asking you some questions, just kidding

In general I think most ADSL_DMT engines are capable of processing multiple annexes. An Analogy: for example consider you are driving a Porsche (DMT- engine) you are not obligated to driver it in any particular gear. The driver (Carriers) can shift gear anytime they want based on the road condition. That is the situation today with DMT engine. You can drive it practically on any road and it can beat most anything on most roads. So for an operator who has the option of switching between annexes he will win the most.

The trick is the road. In really bad roads (Tiny proportion, like in presence of T1) SHDSL will probably do better. If you recall T1 was first conceived and commercialized decades ago to be a symmetric carrier of 24 voice channels. But this technology needed repeaters every 1 to 2 Km. Then came HDSL, and HDSL-2 to replace and extend the reach of T1 data rate and now SHDSL is follow. We all agree there are not too many T1 in the world, US is probably lead that by a big margin and you may have 1-2 Million lines of T1

Unlike the LAN environment in WAN and specially in access network, if you don't specify the binder condition any simulation results are meaningless. If SHDSL is supposed to work in a binder that is filled with ADSL, then obviously the performance of SHDSL will suffer and it will not meet the targeted 2 Mbits at 2700 meters. Or even in a simpler situation consider Artman, slide 28, a binder composition with 49 self cross talker. ADSL is superior to SHDSL or you choose Kimpe slide-21 Green/Purple colors you see in reaches over 2+km SHDSL (symm) performance is better than ADSL while below that ADSL is doing better. So you see these conditions results into different answers.

I think if we want to do this right we have few options:

1. Either accept that there are multiple installation scenarios (roads) that requires different PHYs for them. Then the solution is clear, we can select both ADSL and SHDSL and move with it. (Wise Choice)

2. If some groups insist that there should be only one solution for the access network, then I think there should be a selection criteria. This is important enough that needs attention. In the absence of any meaningful way of selection process, then the process will be flowed and tainted

I guess I will leave my questions for later on
Happy New Year

Behrooz