[EFM] Re: Moving forward on extended temperature range optics

[Date: 01/17/2003  From Seto]

I have never understood why we need extended temperature
standard for PMD only.  I believe we don't have extended
temperature standard for 802.3 MAC or PCS/PMA.  Would a switch
or PHY chip that does not hold under extended temparature be
compatible with 802.3ah?

We might better off to specify extended temperature operation
classes rather than specifying extended temperature optics.  A
box or a syste, rather than optical component only, needs to
meet these specs to claim the compatibility with a specific
exteded temperature class.

Seto