[EFM] Re: Pause frame usage in transport networks

Ben,

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that this thread is gone on for long enough and we are beginning to
forget where we started i.e. my statement that "the SONET/SDH (OLT1-OLT2) is often the bottleneck link". So I
try to conclude:

Sorry that I don't seem to have made myself clear re persistent congestion (vs. transient).  I guess if I
explain this then we are all done:-) So here I try again.

Remember the original question "Re OAM" was in the context of EoS. Then one would expect that there is an SLA
in place.  Pause frames are not going to help the subscriber to exceed its committed rate  (CIR) except for
short duration's of time (i.e. transients) that are determined by the parameters of the SLA, the service
interface, and the size of the OLT buffer.   This is however a benefit you would not have without Pause
frames.

If the subscriber is persistently exceeding its CIR, then the egress buffer at ONU absorbs the excess. Once
that's gone, the ONU can figure out what to do (nothing to do with the network). Pause is not a remedy to
this persistent congestion, it is simply a trigger.

If you have any further comments I appreciate receiving them off the mailing list.

Take care, Siamack

Ben Brown wrote:

> Siamack,
>
> I guess this is where I keep getting hung up.
>
> Siamack Ayandeh wrote:
> >
> > 3) I already said several times; Pause is not meant to solve
> > persistent congestion.
>
> I fully agree. However, in the model we've described:
>
>  ONU1 ------ OLT1/GFP ------------------- GFP/OLT2 ------ ONU2
>      Ethernet                SONET                Ethernet
>
> we're not talking about your generic ethernet link. The transport
> portion of this link is (significantly?) slower than the 2 access
> links. To me, this makes persistent congestion much more likely
> than the general ethernet we're all accustomed to. So, as you've
> said above, "Pause is not meant to solve persistent congestion."
>
> Regards,
> Ben
>
> Siamack Ayandeh wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> >
> > 1) RED and its variation ought to be used when any buffer that is carrying aggregate TCP traffic is
> > over flowing whether at ingress or egress.
> >
> > 2) Shaping is static, prone to miss configuration, does not adapt to network conditions, and it needs
> > configuration. It may also not be available on all CPE's. The service is supposed to be Ethernet
> > friendly. Not "rate shaped Ethernet".
> >
> > 3) I already said several times; Pause is not meant to solve persistent congestion. Complexity of ONU
> > is a question of what device and where in the network. Gateway to a home would be different to that of
> > an enterprise. Even tail dropping at the subscriber has the advantage of keeping track of what's going
> > on.  Shaping is not going to save you from losing the OAM frames at the ONU, if there is persistent
> > congestion. You need priority, frames need to be scheduled based on priority etc.
> >
> > 4) In the scenario that you describe, OAM frames would be lost at the OLT anyway since there is no room
> > in the buffer. And the only way of knowing about this is a time-out. Now which one is better: to Pause
> > for a few or tens of milliseconds or to time-out at the OAM layer? If Pause duration exceeds the
> > time-out which is highly unlikely then you are back to the time-out! If repeated time-outs occur then
> > the problem is some where else, not in the use of Pause frame.
> >
> > Regards, Siamack
> >
> > Ben Brown wrote:
> >
> > > Siamack,
> > >
> > > The discard that's likely to happen in the OLT is a tail drop. RED
> > > typically requires a lot more buffering than you might see in a
> > > device of this type. Also, RED is often used when an egress buffer
> > > gets full, not an ingress buffer so an OLT might not be an appropriate
> > > application for RED. This helps keep the complexity of the OLT low.
> > >
> > > Whether an ONU implements rate shaping or simply responds to flow
> > > control (the difference is semantics and a few thousand gates),
> > > the ONU needs a significant amount of buffering in order to
> > > implement a "RED-like" algorithm to deal with the backup of
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Ayandeh;Siamack
tel;fax:781 271 9988
tel;work:781 276 4192
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.txc.com
org:Transwitch Corporation (Onex)
adr:;;34 Crosby Drive;Bedford;MA;01730;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:sayandeh@xxxxxxx
title:Senior Consulting Engineer
end:vcard