RE: [EFM] Moving forward on extended temperature range optics

Piers,
I want to thank you for your thoughtful answers.  For fiber access to be
successful, optics specifications in access standards need to facilitate
cost reduction so the business cases are profitable.  Cost reduction of
optics remains a very difficult problem especially with little volume, few
purchase orders, and reduced investment capital.

For the EFM optics group,
The need to drop optics cost is very important and I am providing some
thoughts to the exploder on methods to drop the cost of optics further.  Its
not my intention to provide them as recommendations or positions.

Here are several items to loosen EFM optics specs:
1)Lower upstream rate option (asymmetric) for operators with long loops
(>10km) to extend using the same short range 10 km PMD set. Do we really
need symmetry if its limiting scalability of EPON to be viable for longer
loops found in parts of the world? Perhaps 100 Mbps is fine for upstream
shared across 16 users on a PON.
2)Shortening reach objectives to closer fit real optoelectronic technology
for deployment in the access network? Should we move to 8 km and 16 km
instead of 10 and 20 km. (I know we prefer powers of ten in the group, but
if it costs more money I can learn to live without the tradition).  It seems
the EPON 20 km PMD at 1.2 Gbps upstream, w/ hardening is going to be very
very difficult to make economic in reality.
3)Wider wavelength range to allow laser drift. Do we really need to support
an overlay in EFM?
4)Optional temp specification if hardening is infeasible and indoor ONT is
forced upon a carrier as the only economic solution.
5) Reduce power budget. Reducing power budget is really difficult include in
this list, since the EFM budgets provided so far are barely adequate given
existing access fiber construction methods I am aware of in the field.

Perhaps knowledge about temperature hardening feasibility is now becoming
available and understood in the group.  The indications are that economic
and technical feasibility of several PMD classes remain in question in EFM.
It may be better to adjust the optics specs either in this PAR or a future
activity.

Its an interesting question whether staying with the traditions of Ethernet
for EFM is the best approach to leverage existing Ethernet optics products
(close the gap on differences to spur EFM products) or whether retaining
certain Ethernet traditions are hindering EFM from reaching successfully
into the access market space where temp hardening, and reach are very
important success factors.

Thanks, Kent

Kent G. McCammon
Broadband Access